Saturday, March 5, 2011

Sensory Guatemala




After taking a 4 hour shuttle from Antigua at 5 am yesterday morning, I arrived in the western city of Quetzaltenango, known by its indigenous name of Xela. We are at about 7500 ft, ringed by volcanos. Brown dust encircles the top of the Santa Maria volcano. It last erupted in 1902 and formed the smaller volcano, Santiaquito. Now Santiaquito is very active every day and people are hoping it won't erupt. Just one more of the natural activities (including Earthquakes, Hurricanes and the resulting mudslides & floods) that make life in Guatemala a challenge.

I fell asleep to the persistent sound of dogs barking and woke to what I later learned was a woodpecker (pajaro carpintero). As I write this on the patio infused with the gentle but heady fragrance of jasmine, the fresh mountain air and birds chirping are dominated by the sermon of an evangelico as it is miked from a car in the streets: I can tell when he turns a corner as his voice mercifully is muffled for a moment.

This is my first visit in a long while when the three couples who run AFOPADI are all present and together. We celebrated when I arrived with a little snack that included my favorite foods: tortillas with beets, avocados and black beans. The papaya here is also miraculous. But the best miracle is catching up with friends, seeing the children grow and knowing that shortly I wil be up in the villages of the Chuchamatantes and learning more about AFOPADI's projects in Health, Education and Agriculture.

2 comments:

Golbach said...

J- We're eating a melon from Guatemala this morning and thinking of you. I'm hoping my bronchitis has improved enough by Saturday that I can resume my duties at the Capitol. The farmers are brining their tractors to the Square at noon! It should be great. And thanks for entertaining our Fab 14 in Il during the ruckus. Have a safe and productive trip. We'll see you in Milwaukee when you get back. -Mark

Deetka said...

You know that I love all your photos,of those places here in Guat
which I have not seen. It makes me want to go up there with you, but I will leave it to the young Ășns.
I wonder if Mark Goldbach knows my son in Madison. He, too, has been atthe Capitol for many weeks, and while here, had discussed the situation in WI with EVERYONE (the gringos here are ALL interested). His name is Zaccai Lewis, andIam Deet Lewis, living in Antigua for 18 years!