Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Guatemalan Spring for Northern Gardeners


Some sort of Apple Tree

In the past few days, I've been learning about friends and family in (Vermont, British Columbia and Sweden) and their continued snow. So this post is especially for Altoon, Rosa and Sigrid. I took these photos in the higher elevations of the villages AFOPADI serves. The apple is tough and does not surprise me. The peaches did and I assume that the reason they can grown peach trees on this slope at 10,000 ft. is that it faces South and is protected by the opposite slope on which an actual forest still grows.


Peach Tree

As for the banana, it was growing in very exposed conditions near Casaca at 5000 ft. I mean, really: how could I resist?


Banana

4 comments:

LINDA from Each Little World said...

I don't think I've ever seen a banana growing; loved the look.

Altoon Sultan said...

Thank you for these. My absolute favorite is the banana: what a gorgeous plant! The colors and shapes are sumptuous.

Julie Siegel said...

Seductive indeed.

Julie Siegel said...

Nerissa:
Planting A Billion Trees is a great cause. And I imagine that Nature Conservancy and the UNEP have much support for this project. I wish them luck!
In my limited experience, both with clients and with AFOPADI in Guatemala, I have found that simply planting trees is not enough. In order for the trees to be sustainable, I believe that one must work long and hard with local caretakers to sustain maintenance. We do this both in my business and AFOPADI.
Personally and professionally, I would have trouble lending support to the CEO of Dow Chemical.