Thursday, March 17, 2011

Back Home in the Lap of Luxury, the US

Here at home in Evanston, we have running water that does not have to carried up mountain paths as in the indigenous communities of Guatemala.



In our kitchens, we use cabinets and containers...



And for most of us, we also have gas, electricity and potable water. Not to mention an excess of food. Because heavy rains arrived last October, at exactly the moment when the corn needed sun for its final ripening, the previous harvest was very minimal. This means that during these last hot months of the dry season, many people will go hungry. Hopefully the real rains will begin on schedule in May...



These photos portray one of the cleanest kitchens I have seen in the villages. It is in the house of one of AFOPADI's health promotores.

Today, I added images to my three previous posts, which I wrote from Guatemala.

2 comments:

Altoon Sultan said...

Thanks for the photos; they make the words about the trip that much more vivid.

Julie Siegel said...

Thanks Altoon...I will be posting more soon. Took my better camera for the first time.