Saturday, May 25, 2013

Hope Disappointed: Rios Montt Verdict Annulled


Rios Montt's "Guilty" Verdict annulled was not a surprise, but still disappoints. Real change comes slowly to Guatemala, just as it does here and most other places. But one can't give up working for justice.
The best report I could find about the annulment is on DEMOCRACY NOW, their May 23 2013 show. And here is an interesting blog with great pictures from today's protests against the verdict annulment.
If you watch the video, you can see some footage a little like this picture above. On the Democracy Now video, I couldn't really see what was happening, but I believe people were exhuming clandestine graves where the Military had buried indigenous victims during the war. That gave me a start because the landscape was so similar to my photo here. I took it during my March 2011 site-visit when we were visiting a nursery in a high mountain village. We work in a different area than the Ixil Triangle (which the trial is about). But military torture, rape and murder were perpetrated against the Mam people in the area where SSG now works with the Guatemalan NGO, AFOPADI.
What does this have to do with landscape? Well, if you don't tell the truth about plants, they won't thrive either...

No comments: