Thursday, May 31, 2012

Weather, chickens, insects & people



Since I am always behind during planting season, this post will range...

First: the B & W photos are from the class Tommy Hillwertz and I taught on May 26th for the Summer Green Tech U Seminar Series at CCGT (Chicago Center for Green Technology). We did it off-site at a typical Chicago bungalow so we could show chickens (coop & Tommy: top image) and rain barrels (hidden in image #2). 3rd image is neighbor's collection of porch stuff.

I have to express gratitude that we finally had a real soaking rain today. Memorial Day saw record-breaking temps of 95. WGN meteorologist, Tom Skilling says: "Spring 2012 is to go down in the record books as Chicago's warmest in 142 years running a stunning 9-degrees above normal!" When I walked in the park at the lake, the turf grass looked like high summer. Also, we are seeing amazing amounts of pests and diseases which can't be divorced from our non-winter and unseasonably high temps and lack of precipitation. Due to these facts plus the plants running about a month ahead, I am likely adjusting our installation schedule and stopping for our summer break earlier than normal, especially when we have plants to transplant....it's gonna be an interesting season if I can manage to remain detached and put on my scientific hat.

So it was nice to have people attend a class that explored the myths and realities of sustainable gardening. A pleasant experience to have folk interested in gardening period and sustainability, second. And of course: we learned more than we taught from the great group of people active in their communities.
 

2 comments:

LINDA from Each Little World said...

I think it's going to be a year where we continue to talk about the weather. Nothing is normal — temps, rainfall, etc. My martagon lilies are blooming a month early. The Japanese anemones are so big I am wondering if they will bloom in June!

Julie Siegel said...

Totally agree...I keep meaning to do a post, but keep forgetting to document some of the weird plant manifestations in our garden. Not just months behind, but we have also had drought.