Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Flight Patterns: Migratory Birds & NATO Jets


What I wished I could show images of, I cannot. Either because I am not fast enough or my camera phone is not sharp enough or because I walk without my phone...

The photos would have shown the migratory birds I've noticed, but cannot ID, when I take my rare, spring morning walks along the Evanston lakefront. Today, I saw a bird with scalloped brown markings (grouse-like, but not), a long beak and a bright red patch towards the neck and breast. Anybody know what it might have been?

Since the NATO Summit occurs in Chicago this Sunday and Monday, the region has been heavily inundated by security measures...the Secret Service is in charge, but Chicago Police don't conjure up sweet memories regarding protestors either. Mayor Rahm Emanuel, with the Chicago City Council, has put in place some extreme security measures that will become permanent laws. One would prefer a balance that manages security without repression and civil rights violations.

So, my second image would have shown all the jet-trails above the city and Lake Michigan this morning...instead, I give you a pattern where you can see numerous lines connecting points.

2 comments:

LINDA from Each Little World said...

Saw the Chicago cops on the front page of the NYT today with the NATO protesters.

Julie Siegel said...

I was at a Bonnie rate concert on 5/19, the night before the NATO Summit and she too mentioned how they had tons of cops for a few protestors.