Wednesday, May 9, 2012

My $10. Garden Splurge


Since the roofers began the 3-year project at our condo, I've had to shelve my grand plans for my tiny garden space since it changed from shade to sun with the demise of the Bradford Pear on the parkway. So this is what I did instead...

Our poor town of Evanston! The unseasonably warm winter (who knows if it will become the new normal in face of Climate Change) seems to have accelerated the pace of Emerald Ash Borer's spread.  Any Ash tree not yet dead appears that it will be by Spring's end. Thus, with all the replacements, we were lucky that the city recently planted our choice of a new tree: Quercus muehlenbergii (Chinkapin Oak).

P.S. That's a volunteer Clematis that will soon be climbing the blue hoop...it will manage to support the vine for at least a year, I hope.

2 comments:

Altoon Sultan said...

We don't have the ash borer here in Vermont yet, and I dread its arrival: my beautiful backyard tree, providing cool shade in summer, is a White Ash.
This winter's snowlessness seems to have badly damaged my roses: lots of dead canes. And the raspberries aren't leafing out like they should. At least it's started to rain again.

Julie Siegel said...

Dread is appropriate. The insect took its time, but the impact is unfortunately monumental. Plant a new type of tree now near your Ash.
Our winter and spring were so wacky that one has to try to remain unattached and see what the plants will do. After freakish warm March temps, it got cold again in April with hardly any rain. With last weeks rain, everything grew by leaps and bounds! Who knows how this extra long growing season will effect the ecosystem.