Saturday, January 7, 2012

New Year's Wishes for 2012

 Since I am in the office preparing for a board retreat, I decided to take advantage of the quiet energy with no other sound or activity in the building except my most loyal canine friend snoring at my feet.


After years of searching for a simple incense burner, I found one I liked on New Year's at the Victory's Banner Bookstore.

Then I had to get fire...lucky I didn't live thousands of years ago :)


So today I finally lit some incense (my chiropractor husband muscle tested me at the bookshop to see which scents were OK for me).


Above you can see the slight plume of smoke and below the ash from "Hem Champa" or Masala Incense from India. The package says it "is the most traditional  of Indian incenses. It is highly prized for its calming, and purifying effect."

Given that 2012 is an election year, I believe we need that, especially me. Given the global economy, we need all the prayers we can get. Given our record-setting warm temperatures here in Chicago (56F yesterday and only 20% of normal for December's snowfall), I'm not sure what we need. But I always wish for weather that is kind to the plants. And so far this isn't it...

Last night's local t.v. news ran a report from the Morton Arboretum where they showed a Viburnum about ready to bloom! I believe the staff person interviewed missed an opportunity to connect people with the landscape. Instead of explaining how challenging this weather is for our plants, she talked about how great it is for business. Like most others, I appreciated the warm sun on my skin. But I also wonder how many plants will not survive these unnatural conditions. And what the effect will be on our larger ecosystem...of which we are part.

7 comments:

Altoon Sultan said...

Today was closer to normal in northern Vermont, in the low 30s, but NYC was in the 60s! I agree that the strange weather is terrible, for our plants and our planet; it's hard to feel optimistic.

Julie Siegel said...

Altoon: and one of the hardest feelings is being such a curmudgeon when everybody else is delighted. But honestly, I feel so frustrated when the news folk gush about how wonderful it is when it's warm. Even during a drought or during dangerously high heat during the summer, the news folks seem to have the public default that hotter is always better. Well, one can only provide a balance.

Lynn Miller said...

Re: unusual weather--yesterday at the Chicago Botanic Garden I saw what looked suspiciously like a fresh rose bud on a plant in the outdoor rose garden--which must be very confusing to the plant. . . (as well as to me).

Julie Siegel said...

Lynn: thanks for yr comment! Sorry for the rose...

Joerg said...

Wishing us all much of that quite energy and tranquility for 2012.

LINDA from Each Little World said...

Our weather is probably about the same as yours. Next few days in the 40s and then a plunge to the low 20s. We have no snow cover and my Thanksgiving Hellebore is still blooming! Am worried about what will happen if we don't get snow soon. I figure when it comes it will be a couple of feet all at once.

Quiet place, with dog and incense, sounds great.

Julie Siegel said...

Joerg and Linda: thanks for quiet wishes...
Yes, I hope we get some snow cover before temps plunge in about a week. Also: it is so dry! My garden is all sand (old lake bed) and I noticed its pathetic texture today.