Friday, November 4, 2011

Stockholm: Children & Nature


I admire the myriad ways Swedes treat children well. These range from making sure they all have health-care (paid for by the state) to encouraging them to participate, honor and enjoy nature from an early age.  Here in Humlegårdsparken in the center of Stockholm, you can see the little warming house. Inside, it is filled with play stations...as in Ping-Pong and a crafts room stocked with everything a child would want to glue, thread or cut-out with scissors. There is staff and of course, a bathroom.


I appreciated that the Swedish manner of recycling is carried through...


As well, this curtain pattern seemed very typically fun & Swedish to me.


Right near the swing set, I spotted this lovely little garden simply made from Viburnum trilobum and supports that apparently sport Nasturtium during the warmer months. And again: such a treat for me to see leaves!

4 comments:

Altoon Sultan said...

thanks for all the wonderful updates from Sweden!

Julie Siegel said...

Thanks always for your feedback, Altoon!

LINDA from Each Little World said...

Great photos and background. I realize that I have only seen snowy photos of your time in Sweden so this is fun for us too!

Julie Siegel said...

Yes, Sweden was unnaturally warm just like Chicago. So I could indulge landscape concepts. More feedback after re-entry.