Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Skiing in Salen


Typical Ski Cabin



View Away from the slopes in Salen

So, we are back home in Dalarna (it is Wed. Dec. 29th) after a few days skiing in the Swedish mountains. Sälen is an hour and a half car drive from Mora and the closest of the alpine resorts. The spare winter light provides a calm so different from the bright tropical sunlight I am familar with in Guatemala. Too, it is a world apart here in the Swedish holiday world where parents are able to provide everything to their children.


Downhill Helmets


Ski Boot Dryer

While Mats and our friends and their kids conquered the downhill slopes (quite small if you've skied in the Rockies, but still challenging), I tested my cross-country stamina. The 6 k track took me about 1 1/2 hours, that was also the point where my big toe started to get numb. The warmer, snowy day brought out a few skiers, but the clear colder day (-18C) provided more solitude. When I hit the open remains of forest, I turned my face to the sun and felt my eyelashes thawing and felt my chest open up to breathe. Very enchanting! But I find no place as peaceful, energetically, as the forest here in Dalarna.


Cross-country Ski Trail in Dalarna

Today's newspaper reports that all the long-underwear is sold out in Mora. Yesterday I learnt that this is the coldest December here in a century. Maybe that gives me a pass on Ghostbusters...

No comments: