Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Keeping Warm in Dalarna


At 9 am this morning, it was 22 below zero (-30 C).

Let me name the ways I try to stay warm:

1.) In the 1960s, my husband's grandpa had geothermal heating installed. The house itself was built in stages, as are many Swedish dwellings. The first dwelling arose in 1926, the second in 1947 and the third in 1963.
2.) We make and watch many fires in the fireplace. Unlike most American fireplaces, the Swedish ones are in the corner and thus throw out heat more efficiently. The wood comes from birch and spruce that have been cut down on the property over many years. Since they are stored in a proper woodshed, the logs are very dry and burn well. As I've noted before, Sweden is the country where (since the 19C), they have managed their forests so well that I recall (can't check it on this ancient computer) there are now more trees per capita than anywhere else in the world.
3.) Our diet is full of fat: herring, ham, cream, butter and cheese. Usually, as can be expected on a high fat diet, while here, I lose weight...


4.) Inside, I wear long underwear, hats and, as reminded by Linda Brazill, those wool wristcovers. Mine are a special Swedish Christmas version given to me as a gift by my mother-in-law.
5.) Outside, I wear facemasks and three layers of mittens as I try to pump those arms while walking or skiing.
6.) The house is full of candles and these electric, Menorah-looking objets in the window. So amidst the dark and cold, one feels comforted and warm.
7.) We play Jussi Bjorling (the great Swedish tenor) on my husband's vintage audio system(1971, Pioneer receiver and ERA 444 turn-table for you audiophiles out there). Mats says the classical FM station here is excellent. He cites tonight's four-hour Chopin marathon!

No comments: