Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Urban Habitat Chicago: Guatemala



Look closely through the fog and perhaps you can see one of the AFOPADI agricultural promoters pointing to a small fruit tree he grew experimentally. Experimental because this was at 10,000 feet high in the deforested mountains of Northwest Guatemala.

If you wish to learn more, I will be speaking tomorrow evening at 6:30 at Urban Habitat Chicago.
This vital organization says its goal is
to "educate our members and the public about today’s vital environmental concerns and provide some information and tools on how to address them in ways large and small." My topic lies in exploring what I have learned about sustainable agriculture and landscape during my time as a donor and project director for the Earthways projects with AFOPADI. I hope to explain how some of the Guatemalan project's successes and failures can illuminate local challenges in face of climate change and a difficult economy.

No comments: