Friday, April 2, 2010

More Old Growth vs. New



So we are sticking with process...

Above image is a great native plant, I photographed it yesterday in the prairie at the Chicago Center for Green Technology (CCGT). You can see both the remains of the old fruit and the new catkins blowing in the wind. This shrub used to be a great source of food for wildlife and predominated until settlers arrived in the Midwest. Guess its ID?

Below we have a daffodil and some tulips (I would not even hazard a guess as to which ones) nicely contrasted against the remaining winter-interest purple pots. These early tulips totally opened in face of our record-breaking heat: two consecutive days up to 80. It is good for the soul, but not for the plants. I prefer the unfolding more sequenced, but then I know the pacing has nothing to do with me.



Since it is sooooooo dry, I am dancing for rain.

4 comments:

Altoon Sultan said...

I love the orange in the tulip, and have no idea what that mystery plant is. I saw some wonderful catkins at the Brooklyn Botanic Garden, on a Corksrew Hazel, but didn't realize that they are spring growth; I'd thought they were left over from the fall. As for rain, it was super dry until recently, but now the ground is moist; less than usual, but not worrying as it was.

ChicagoTreeMD said...

Corylus americana, American hazelnut. Most easily identified by the pubesence (love that word) that is perpendicular to the stem. Under used shrub for sure.

Julie Siegel said...

Kudos to the tree Doc! Underused and underappreciated. Critters usually eat the fruit before we even spot it.

LINDA from Each Little World said...

Some rain here Friday and a bit more this morning but not enough. Can't believe how dry it is here and how wet the east coast has been.