Sunday, March 21, 2010

More Relative Latitude: 3/18/09 (Guatemala)



After my dear friend, Deet in Guatemala, weighed in on last post, I checked on what I was doing a year ago. March 18th was the day I returned from my annual visit, as Earthways Project Director, to AFOPADI's Organic Agriculture and Reforesting Programs in several Mayan communities in the mountainous Northwest of Guatemala. They were about 2/3rds of the way through the dry season. The rains generally begin around May and having been there during the rainy season, I can appreciate why people are so concerned about the coming rains in Haiti.

These photos show a new community (at about 7,000') where the villagers have asked AFOPADI to work with them. The doctor has already begun a clinic and we were there to discuss their request for corn silos. The top picture gives you a sense of the erosion (clearly the most dangerous during the rains when whole villages tumble down mountainsides). The bottom one shows the quality of soil, or lack thereof.

2 comments:

Altoon Sultan said...

How fantastic that you're involved in this work, Julie. Did the village get the silos? What work will they do to control future erosion?

Julie Siegel said...

Thanks Altoon. I will know more about the silos once one of our corn silo donors makes a site visit in April. I will be attempting to answer to your question about erosion in my talk on 4/7 at Urban Habitat Chicago. Clearly neither a simple answer nor a simple situation. Just planting trees doesn't work because, like everywhere, trees have to be nurtured before they are established. And when thus is in a context of extreme poverty and genocide, well: it's complicated. But hopeful.