Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Being Present in Your Garden



This is the title of the class I am teaching next week (3/23) at the Chicago Botanic Garden. It focuses on process, over time, in the garden. We will be having fun and looking at some interesting projects.
One of the highlighted projects was designed after an Elm at least 6' in diameter was felled by Dutch Elm disease. The concept we finally pursued was that of a snake going after its tail, an image of infinity, in hommage to the lost tree. Image my surprise when, a year or so after the garden was installed, I met somebody who knew an artist who had made snake eyes. One thing led to another and our client just came into possession of said snake eyes...I show one here with her hands for scale. We will soon place them in the garden (below). I think I may have a shot of the design on file....look in later post.

No comments: