Wednesday, March 24, 2010

After Being Present in the Garden



iPhone quality will have to suffice...

We had a great time yesterday at this intimate class I led at the Chicago Botanic Garden. Given cultural realities, I was not surprised that the entire band consisted of women, although the funny, self-appraising letter I excerpted about process being eternal in the garden was written by a male client.

I made some new friends and surprised a long-term one who has not only known me forever, but is a far more accomplished gardener than most, certainly than I. Teaching is always helpful to me because it forces me to assess if I practice what I preach. And too, people come up with ideas I would have never contemplated. Finally, if all goes well, there is the satisfaction of communicating and sharing something that may be worthwhile for somebody else.

The sharp clear sky led to a memorable sunset just before our class began. I stumbled on this plant (didn't really focus on ID, but suspect it's a Magnolia) literally glowing with the last rays of the sun. You can't tell here how the light made these buds dance.

4 comments:

Sheila said...

Looks like spring to me!

Julie Siegel said...

Every year, Spring never fails to stir! Yesterday, in my garden, I saw some bulbs I had forgotten I had planted last fall and some new Virginia Bluebell (Mertensia). They are already spreading after only three years. Will try to get more shots of baby plants.

Julie Siegel said...

Aforementioned accomplished gardener thinks maybe glowing plant is a willow...

Julie Siegel said...

Nope, friend corrected herself by looking in Dirr: she found "willow buds are appressed against the stem whereas magnolia free." Magnolia then.