Tuesday, November 13, 2007

On the tourist trail





Back in Antigua for a few days. I admit it`s nice to have a toilet seat and some hot water. Plus I have a friend who moved here 15 years ago, supposedly upon my advice. Even when I studied Spainish here in the late 1980s, during the war, this was a tourist town. Beautiful colonial buildings surrounded by volcanoes, lots of Spanish schools and cafes. Now it is about 30 times more touristy and all about buying. The place crawls with twenty-somethings. You can usually tell what country they`re from by hairstyle, posture and attitude. They have time, money, youth & options. Even when I was their age, I was more interested in action & social justice than in hanging out; I never had much capacity for coffee or beer anyway. After several weeks with the reforesting project in the village, there is a bit of culture shock. However, I am so grateful for food and freedom. Not many trees here although the bouganvilla seems always to be in lush flower.


No comments: