Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Election Results + Colors!





I was wrong about the election. Actually Colom won. Those I speak to say things will be ´menos peor,´ less worse. Still, it is better not to have a general who was in power in the army during the genocide of the 70s and 80s.


The larger problems continue (poverty, racism, in equitable land distribution) regardless of the party, because, economic interests control the situation...just like in the states...perhaps fewer corporations and more drug lords here but basically the balance is in favor of profit for a few at the expense of many. Of course, the difference between the third and 1st world continues to make me both grateful and appalled.

Now for some lovely plant observations....I came here during this time of year to see Guatemala green and ripe. But the surprise lies in the abundance of colors. Higher up in the mountains, patches of deep yellow interrupt the green and gold of the milpa (corn). Endless orange cosmos define these contrasts. Growing wild are blue & purple salvias, red-orange lantana, white sambucas and various yellow sunflowers. As we ascended up to the village of Papal yesterday (truly in the clouds at 2500 metres), bright red bromliads decorated the scraggy (forgive my English: I am between it, Spanish & Mam, the language of the indigenous groups near Quetzeltenango or Xela) oaks.

Upon returning, I discovered a book: Etnobotanica mam. How lucky we are for Linneus! The book has the names in all three forms (Mam, Spanish, Botanic) so I know some of the plants. It also details their medicinale and spiritual and food applications.

Only a few minutes here today down in the Pueblo: I was lucky enough to catch a ride on a motorcycle which shortened the walk from 30 minutes to 7.

3 comments:

raihos said...

Thanks for your commments. I am Rainer H., author of the book you mention. I live now in Cusco, Peru.

Julie Siegel said...

Rainer:

Thanks for your comment and mostly, yr book! I remember it so well...what is your background? Just discovered this post now as I am preparing to speak about this project on the radio 8/21/08. It's a Public radio show, Worldview, on WBEZ Chicago.

raihos said...

Dear Julie,
in July I moved to La Paz, Bolivia, where I am assessing for the next two years a government program for food security, financed by the European Commission. I am an agronomist with a strong vocation for ethnography, anthropology and archaeology.
Best regards,
Rainer