Monday, July 8, 2013

Process #2: Placing Perennials


I confess that I have never found any adequate formula for computing the number of perennials to order for a site. Large, non-custom companies unlike ours, usually place perennials 18" on center. This will not do for me because perennials range greatly in size; one may ultimately require 5' and another 1'. So it was with great delight last week, on a huge job (above shows about 1/5 of the site), that I found I had ordered the perfect amount of perennials. This process I call "Plant Voodoo." Why? Because it is the result of doing things very systematically and then adjusting the numbers very intuitively. My husband says it works because of my many years of experience, but (after talking to some colleagues who have encountered the same struggle to get amounts right), I think it was Grace.

4 comments:

Liz Muir said...

Lovely story, Julie. It prompts the query: Can you add buttons to your blog so people can 'like' on Facebook or recognize via other social media? Might you be able to share photos of the same space from the same point of view later in the season and perhaps even beyond?

Julie Siegel said...

Yes, Liz: I will certainly try to share photos down the road. That view is from the neighbor's house, they are also clients of mine.
I took myself off Facebook years ago and so its not really on my radar. And I have needed a complete overhaul of website which factors into this blog. So that may happen when I have more time after this very busy season and set-up work on SSG.

LINDA from Each Little World said...

Yikes! That is a huge space. i can barely figure it out in my garden so I am glad I don't have to do it on a larger scale. Plus I am usually willing to wait for things to fill in.

Julie Siegel said...

One entire lot of this garden space had nothing, so the only thing that would have filled in was weeds...