Thursday, April 4, 2013

Mayan Mam Elders


During my guatemalan site-visit, I was inspired by several Mayan Mam elders who took part in AFOPADI programs. Their continued energy and commitment, not to mention beauty, inspires me.
Today, I was speaking with a colleague here in Chicago, a terrific architect in his 60s with a long white beard. We were discussing society's attitude towards those of us who are not "youth." Mostly he gets called Santa Claus, though he has noted an uptake in hip young men complimenting his beard so he is wondering what current band has a member sporting a beard. He also noted that his Asian clients have a totally different attitude coming from cultures where elders are respected. I have always believed that it takes a community, not just in terms of age, but also in skills, personality types and experience.


1 comment:

Liz Muir said...

Did I tell you how much I love your portraits? Thanks for posting!