Monday, April 1, 2013

I'll be speaking about my guatemalan trip on WBEZ's Worldview 2 April 2013


This woman is a midwife and an agricultural promotor. She has 10 kids and finally got the courage to leave an abusive husband.

On Tuesday, April 2nd, I will be speaking for about 10 mins. on WBEZ's Worldview, likely at the end of the show unless somebody doesn't show. This is all exciting & fun and in preparation for SSG's participation in the Worldview Global Activism Expo this Saturday from noon to 6 pm at the UIC Forum. In the hope that pictures speak louder than words, I post a few here of some of the inspiring people I spent time with on my recent SSG and Earthways visit to AFOPADI in Guatemala.


 This man lives in a village dry as dust with little available water. He practices permaculture and has made amazing strides with the land and internally. A total optimist! 


This man used to work in the mines. Now he is like the Johnny Appleseed of AFOPADI, an agricultural promotor who is a true man of the earth.


Finally there is me with one of the sweetest of the women I have met and have known since I first started visiting the AFOPADI projects in 2005. She witnessed her brother being executed in front of the whole village during the war. She is a wonderful weaver of cloth as well as being able to weave her way through the daily reality of that legacy.

No comments: