Sunday, December 30, 2012

Celebrating New Horizons & SSG


Even though I am not calm about our Congress, part of me is at Peace because we finally have had some cold and SNOW! The horizon down at the lake was so dramatic the other day that I actually interrupted my peace and brought my phone on my walk again to photograph.
I thought this image was a fitting one to usher in the new beginning of the NPO I began two years ago. It's called Sustainable Sharing with Guatemala (SSG).


We have fabulous board members (Wesley, Melisa, Kristen, Greg, Paula and formerly: Stephen) to whom I am so grateful!
Our Mission: "We work with indigenous Mayan communities served by established organizations who share our vision and values to build working models across borders and cultures. These models promote and sustain social justice, education, agriculture, environment and health."
We are currently set up to support AFOPADI in Guatemala. Read more about us on our new website here: SSG. And if you want to donate: click here.

Meantime: since we will be celebrating the New Year quietly at home in Evanston, we went to hear the Roy Hargrove Quintet last night. You can take in more of their great performances through January 1, 2013 at Jazz Showcase in Chicago.
 

2 comments:

Altoon Sultan said...

Isn't it wonderful to have snow! Your photo is stunning.
And your work is Guatemala has been so inspiring and interesting to follow. May your next visit there be fulfilling.

Julie Siegel said...

Yes, snow is still wonderous to me, especially with all the weather changes and less frequency. I really felt bereft last year with its absence: both for me and the plants.
Glad my Guatemala obsession can inspire: thanks for all your feedback here and in all of past year :)