Saturday, July 14, 2012

Miracle #2: Rain!


Yesterday afternoon was so exciting because we had not only unexpected rain, but enough of it to actually soak it! Above is an obscured window in the hallway outside my office and below looks out the front door of the building. You can see missed opportunities to better absorb water (at private and public levels) in both pictures. More exact climate statistics are available on the U of Illinois State Climatologist Office here. Tool around and you can find very useful comparative information about our region's current drought.

Given my profession, I have drought on the brain. The day before yesterday, I was trying to be articulate about these climate conditions with a local landscape architect during a taping for a WBEZ Worldview segment. It was put together by Eco Myths and the topic was whether municipalities are adequately taking care of our water systems or whether homeowners can do something too. I am not yet sure when they will run the broadcast, but I will try to get a link up here...that may be in Podcast form since we are soon to leave for Sweden where they are having, says my mother-in-law, their coolest wettest summer in 20 years. I guess extremes is what scientists say is one of the defining factors of Climate Change. But even with highs only around 60 degrees F, I'll take that Scandinavian break from our dry heat! Not sure about the 3:30 am sunrise though...


3 comments:

Altoon Sultan said...

I'm glad to see you had some rain. I hope more follows. Here in Vermont it's getting dry and I've had to water young seedlings in the vegetable garden; we're hoping for some rain the next few days.

Altoon Sultan said...

oh, and have a great trip!

Julie Siegel said...

Thanks Altoon! After the rain, everybody noticed and people were plugged in and grateful.