Saturday, July 14, 2012

Miracle #1: Containers


Normally I manage to get my back porch containers planted around July 4th. This year's extreme heat and lack of snow & rain moved everything up. So I have been watering a lot of little pots...I finally planted the left-overs from client jobs on July 8th (with the help of the marvelous friend An G.). I've been watering some of these plants since mid-May when we began annuals installations, so I was happy to get them into larger amounts of soil. That Little shrub in the corner (on top of the orange) is Gro-Low Sumac. It's one of my favorites because it is so tough in terms of light & soil conditions, but also because the leaves are glossy and reflect light nicely.
 

My favorite recycled element here are the two chartreuse Lollipops above...they are remainders from some kids favors on the 4th: bubble blowers. But I love how they amplify the little bit of light on our North-facing covered porch. I also stuck a chartreuse watering can in the yellow container that split in half during installation and I was too lazy to unscrew and remove.
 

Just outside the back steps, I was able to fill this great concrete planter. Two of these plants want full sun, which they won't get here, but at least they'll get more air and a pinch more light. This was taken the afternoon we planted. Of course, since then (5 days), the squirrel has dug it up 2 - 3 times...no rest for the wicked!

No comments: