Friday, April 13, 2012

Special Birds: Bluebird & Quetzal



As I currently have a client who works for Audubon, birds are on my mind. This morning, walking along the lake in Evanston, I saw three trees that drew my attention. Each had a special bird perched there.  I wondered who was so fun...

Coincidentally, this client and I have in common a love for Guatemala and a long history of involvement with the country and its people.  She brought to my attention a free program at the Chicago Botanic Garden about the national bird of Guatemala on 26 April 2012:


Since there is hardly any Cloud Forest left where I work in Guatemala, the Quetzals have long since disappeared in that part of the country (NW mountains near Mexican border). I joke that the only Quetzal I have ever seen is on this gate we pass as we drive up to the higher villages. So I am looking forward to the event. It details a program in the area near Coban which is a coffee-growing region north of Guatemala city.


No comments: