Thursday, March 1, 2012

Sweetgum: Sure Sign of Spring


Most states east of the Mississippi (except maybe not you in VT, NH or Maine) can grow this interesting tree: Liquidamber styraciflua or Sweetgum.  We have many mature ones in the parkway in the blocks near my office. It's a bit unusual since they are known for beautifully formed leaves and the Sputnik-shaped fruit that makes a mess when it comes down after winter.
  

The fruit pleases me, although I am not responsible for cleaning it up.
I took these yesterday when we hit 58 degrees on Leap Day.  Today we are back to that grim gray, but it's fitting because normally that's what March is...and this winter: it feels as if it's been March since Autumn. The ground never froze here so it's going to be one interesting year in terms of plants, pests, disease and people.  The cycles will be off and I hope I can be unattached to the results.
 

2 comments:

Altoon Sultan said...

I think I've seen seeds like this in the woods around here in Vermont, but I'm not sure. We're back in the thick of winter here right now, with March coming in like the traditional lion.

Julie Siegel said...

Lion here too with snow today. Hmmm, well that might be climate change if this tree grows near you...