Sunday, March 11, 2012

Hola de Guatemala



Hello from Guatemala where it is a different season from Chicago.  The dry season yes, but some crops are still growing in various parts of the country, especially the Pacific coast. I have had wonderful mangoes, pineapples and papayas.  Trying to load up before I leave for the mountain villages where fresh produce is hard to come by. I am in the western part of the country in Xela, a city ringed by mountains and a volcano. As long as you don´t see the poverty or the increase in militarization since the new President, Otto Perez (a former general during the time of the war with much torture and many disappearences), took office in January: the view is beautiful.

I am eager to get to the villages where AFOPADI has projects in Health, Education and Agricultures and see the changes.  As always, some will be inspiring and some sad.  I have heard that the global economic crisis has really taken a toll here.  Also, that the Obama administration has altered the way funds are administered. From what I understand, they now go through the government instead of directly to NGOs...and that means the money doesn´t end up with impoverished people who need it.  Just think of how Chicago has worked with patronage and you can imagine where the money goes.

Despite everything, the people I know here are always amazing, warm and fun. Plus I love speaking Spanish...even though where we go, the native language is Mam.

Per usual, I will add photos to the blog after I return.

2 comments:

LINDA from Each Little World said...

That is pretty distressing to hear who is the new president; and equally distressing that I had no idea until reading this post. I still do not pay attention to politics in the rest of the Americas etc. to the degree that I should.

Julie Siegel said...

Distressing to say the very least. Global and local changes are pretty regressive here. I will write more when I have Internet.