Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Good Timing



Photographing mature gardens is always serendipitious: on the days when I am free to photograph, the weather doesn't always accommodate. This is particularly true of snow while it is still fresh & clean. Light is the other big challenge and of course, rain. Not to mention street cleaning, construction and block parties. I lucked out yesterday while driving back from a current client's installation in Evanston, when I swung past a client's garden that we had installed a few years ago. Not only was it cloudy, but at the end of the day as well, so the light was soft & at a good angle.
Most people know that blooms are often the last thing I contemplate in design (after form, foliage, texture, seasonal interest, movement, frangrance etc.), but here I was pleasantly surprised by the bloom on the native coralbell (Heuchera villosa macrorrhiza). Below, you can see its creamy, bottlebrushy plumes waving around bemusedly.
I also want to point out another plant that delighted me in its seasonal combination: the Tufted Hair Grass (Deschampsia caespitosa 'Goldtau'). It is a pretty tough grass that takes less than full sun. Its simple, elegant foliage contrasts effectively with the many other larger & rougher leaved plants in this garden.
This spring, these clients had such a busy life that they asked me to plant the windowbox that they usually do so well themselves. I had fun playing with foliage to compliment the home & garden and was pleased by the lushness of the annuals after our summer of heat & humidity. Hopefully, in this space, you will appreciate the subtle play of those many traits I hope to create in a garden to engage the people living nearby.



3 comments:

Altoon Sultan said...

I love how this garden looks lush and vibrant alongside the grass and box hedges of its neighbor. And the window box is gorgeous.

Julie Siegel said...

Thanks so much. This was a fun job with great clients.

LINDA from Each Little World said...

Have just read all the posts from the top and love all the different views of this garden. Just lovely. And isn't it funny how some Heucheras manage to have flowers that are as useful as the leaves. I do have to say that I consider Walker's Low a misnomer; I expected it to be half as tall as it is. Not low in my book (though still beautiful). It is the perfect scale for your client's house, however.