Sunday, February 13, 2011

Life Imitates Art



Since both the lecture and class I gave/taught at Wicker Park Garden Club this week included the work and concepts of Piet Oudolf, his ideas are on my mind. Particularly his idea of using plants that look good dying. It embodies the idea of fully appreciating plants at different points in their life cycle. Piet also strives to use plants in community, increasing health & beauty.

I was reminded of the human equivalent of this today, when, after a Memorial Service, I realized that several of those I had attended in the past few years moved me much more than many of the other rites of passage we celebrate. Not only did today's service touch me deeply at the level of appreciating somebody who had touched many people profoundly, but as well, I was so impressed by how his community had come together to celebrate him and his life in all its complexity.

One special gift appeared in the form of the nephew whose wonderful Chicago band, J T and The Clouds, performed at his uncle's Memorial Service. You just missed them at Space in Evanston tonight before they head off to the UK. But you can find them now on Pandora or iTunes.

Above is a client's garden in Evanston last October. I hope it contains some of this attention to life lived deeply at many levels...NOTE: No Flowers, but plenty dynamic.

No comments: