Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Blizzard Antidote: Red Rock Canyon



Lady Luck blessed me last Saturday...O'Hare was cleaned up enough after our blizzard for me to fly out to Vegas for an annual overnight visit to see our brilliant chiropractor, Dr. Timothy Francis.

Not just my body, but my soul too is always nurtured here. I never tire of hiking in Red Rock Canyon, no matter what time of year. Since my last visit, they've redone the interpretive center. It's very kid-friendly and has an extremely useful website with weather, geology, flora, fauna and Mojave Max, the desert tortoise. Not only was it an antidote to the snow still piled high in Chicago, but to the zombies at the slot machines as well...

I found the contrast between these two images useful in thinking about form, texture and perspective in landscape.

2 comments:

Altoon Sultan said...

I was lucky enough to visit Red Rock Canyon several years ago. It's a very beautiful place. And looking at the two photos, I find myself more aware of texture in the black and white image, since the color doesn't grab all the attention.

Julie Siegel said...

Altoon, absolutely texture is more prominent in B & W...I have been thinking about that since I am giving two lectures this week that focus on plant traits outside color.