Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Plants, Music & Geese



Last week provided an unexpected opportunity to do a few things that are normally impossible during spring planting season: I got to visit the Chicago Botanic Garden while things were green and hear music by the incredible Ken Vandermark.


This all happened courtesy of Connie Cunningham, co-founder of MELA, who is presently running Sassafras Valley Farm (free range geese) down in Missouri, in the Ozarks where the Lewis & Clark trail begins. I had visited in 2008, but now it was Connie's turn to return the favor. Because I am married to a Swede, we were the hosts (along with another landscape designer, Vaso Powers) for a young Swedish woman minding the goslings down on Connie's farm. Can't imagine why Connie thought the young woman might want some urban distraction...

Above you can see two of the three Japanese islands at the Garden where people can stroll (humans are not allowed to visit the third except by sight and imagination). The islands are connected by the zigzag bridge whose premise lies in confusing the evil spirits that might be in swift pursuit of us.

Below find Ken Vandermark in a blur of saxophone wizardry. This was about the third or fourth time I've heard the MacArthur Award-winning composer/musician (part of a duo this time with the wild drummer, Tim Daisy on 5/6/10 at the Velvet Lounge). Vandermark's website describes his "primary creative focus" as "contemporary music that deals directly with advanced methods of improvisation." Every time I hear Ken Vandermark, I feel as if I am reconnected with some deep, essential part of myself and the larger world out there. I am reminded of what's real and present in life. This is good no matter what we practice, yes?


No comments: