Thursday, May 13, 2010

Ferny Muse



Altoon Sultan's recent blog (Studio & Garden) post on ferns inspired me to recollect. As you can see, our logo is modeled on a fern. And though I generally attempt to avoid making literal connections, this photo shows a good likeness. I had a memorable morning with ferns in a wildlife sanctuary, two years ago, while out east working for a client on Martha's Vineyard [see my post from 6/4/08].



During that trip, I also had the good fortune to hear William Cullina speak about his book, NATIVE FERNS, MOSSES & GRASSES. We had originally met when I spoke at the New England Wildflower Society, but he has since become the Plant & Garden Curator at the Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens (which I hope to visit someday soon). Bill is exceptional at many levels. You can get a glimpse of his knowledge, wisdom, humor and vision in his book.


3 comments:

LINDA from Each Little World said...

Somehow I've missed this book, so thanks for the info. I heard him speak a number of years ago on one of the Hort magazine tours.

Julie Siegel said...

Book great and Bill is such a fine speaker: so full of fascination and so generous and unpretentious in his sharing. Plus good photos.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.