Thursday, January 7, 2010

University of California Botanical Garden at Berkeley


(Display Case: Native Crafts)

While our biggest snow of the season accumulates outside, I'm going to rhapsodize about the Berkeley Botanical Garden.

Wish I lived nearby so I could visit over & over...since I don't, lucky they have a fine website. Its diversity is matched by the creative displays which are both beckoning, memorable and educational: hard to do.

While the Berkeley Botanical Garden has had since 1890 to mature, it appears to have exceptionally manifested its mission of presenting plants of wild origin from diverse habitats from almost all the continents on the globe.

I know it's not fair to compare this garden to others that are not associated with one of the world's great universities, but I feel cheated living in a community where social concerns often appear to trump botanical in garden management.


(Autumn Light through Plants of Dryer Regions)

Have yet to meet a succulent that I wouldn't want in close proximity...guess our snowfall makes that highly unlikely.


(Harsher Light on Succulents)

No comments: