Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Back East 1: NYC



You couldn't photograph at the Bauhaus show at MoMA, but it was really memorable. And I learned more about my dad's mentor, Moholy-Nagy.
Never have I experienced a more crowded museum, although the day we went, the hordes were visiting a Tim Burton program during his exhibition.



I know there are various opinions about MoMA's new building: pretty terrific from my vantage point. Here is the view into the sculpture garden. Roof garden is off limits...Google it if you're interested in that particular controversy.



This shot of a roof in the Oceanic/Rockefeller gallery of the MET was my most interesting iPhoto of that new wing.

4 comments:

Altoon Sultan said...

I have to admit that I have an almost unreasoning dislike of MoMA, notwithstanding their great collections and the great shows they mount. Each time I walk in there, I feel as though I'm at the airport, and the crowds make me cranky. But wow, that Bauhaus show was terrific!

Julie Siegel said...

I'm with you on the crowds, but believe the space is much better for viewing art than airports...although Stockholm airport, Arlanda, has some pretty classy sections. The way the circulation At MoMA is engineered makes me slow down and pay attention. Also it forces me into different perspectives.

Altoon Sultan said...

Julie, when I mentioned airport, I meant the entrance lobby, with the oppressively low ceiling and lines for tickets; and the ridiculously tight escalator spaces funneling people upstairs. The galleries themselves are nicely proportioned, and I like the atrium space, though the original disastrous decision to put the waterlilies there was happily changed.

Julie Siegel said...

Yup, totally agree about oppressive entrance lobby, bad ventilation too. I'm mixed about the escalators because I do think they function to bring scale down to human level. But I wish they'd have more natural light.