Friday, January 23, 2009

Swedish Fence Construction: Dalarna



I promised our friend, Mark, in Madison, details on traditional Swedish fence construction in the Dalarna region. Mark's awesome gardening & sculpting talents always impress me. Last time I visited, he was in the process of building a Japanese tea house.

My household Swede keeps changing the facts around this fencing method so I will repeat what he last told me. It's made of local pine (looking to me to be Pinus sylvestris or Scots Pine) and interestingly, the oldest recorded Scots Pine (700 years old) seems to have been in Sweden. The larger section are lashed together by what Mats says is Juniper bark soaked to flexible so that it can be tied as illustrated.

This example is quite new, having been replaced a few years ago by local craftsmen. Not only does it use local material & labor, but the form is both functional and beautiful.

6 comments:

Nicole said...

You gotta appreciate fence construction. A great place for learning about other varieties of Scandinavian fences is at Rosendal Castle in the Djurgården in Stockholm. Meet you there!

Philip Bewley said...

What a wonderful fench. I love how it is made. Juniper bark to tie it together! also, I love all the white birch trees and the feeling of the photo.

Julie Siegel said...

Nicole:
It's a deal! Isn't that near Skansen with all the old Swedish buildings? Last time I was there was one New Year's Day in Stockholm when nothing else was open & I didn't have my winter cold. Saved by lots of good Swedish hot chocolate: cocoa, sugar, cream & hot water.

Julie Siegel said...

N:
I meant winter "coat."

Julie Siegel said...

P:
Enjoy the winter tree scenes because I will be posting pictures from Guatemala soon, up in the mountains that are heavily deforested.

Rebecca A. Maynard said...

, The following is a fence design pictures for your reference in choosing a designs of fence as you wish for your home..electric driveway gates