Sunday, January 4, 2009

Phoenix Rising in 2009



Two friends have terrific blogs detailing the recent huge shifts in their lives.These are not just true examples of transforming doodoo into compost, but funny, self-aware reflections with meaning for the larger world.

A few of Connie Cunningham's geese waddle above at her farm in the foothills of the Ozarks...along Lewis & Clark's still-compelling trail. Since Connie was one of the two MELA founders, we got to know & appreciate each other while she was still a landscape designer in the Chicago area. Her mother's illness was the impetus for her move to rural Missouri where she now runs a farm like something out of a Gerald Durrell's My Family & Other Animals (one of my all-time favorite books). There's no substitute for telling the stories in her own fabulous voice, so check out Connie's new blog, complete with UTube footage of farm animals.

As a time-starved reader and gardener, I often live vicariously through Linda Brazill's website, written from one of our most livable cities: Madison, Wisconsin. You can read about & see Linda & her husband, Mark, in an earlier incarnation, on my website (LInda's new & correct email is: lbrazill@gmail.com). A features editor for decades at the now digitalized and downsized Capital Times, Linda is in the process of reshaping the applications of her endless talents (and Mark's superb photography) through her engrossing website.

Speaking of former jobs, I got so inspired by all the cooking in Sweden that, yesterday, I went to Rogers Park Fruit Market (a local grocery with a large selection for its Hispanic & Caribbean customers). Papaya compelled me, but I returned home with a cornucopia, including some type of mystery squash/pumpkin. Peeling it should have won these worn garden hands a medal
, but I actually managed to pull out an old recipe (Gourmet November 1989) for Pumpkin Flan. Unfortunately, I only recalled my culinary endeavor after my husband reminded me of something cooking in the kitchen...another burnt pan while I pounded away on these keys. So much for my return to the chef's hat. I guess I'll keep my day job.

No comments: