Saturday, August 30, 2008

Apologies to Universidad Popular



So, I got an interesting email after the Worldview interview where I had mentioned studying Spanish at Centro Latino in the early 80s. I called it a very progressive place and said it didn't exist anymore. Happily I have now been informed that it still exists thought the location has changed to South Lawndale and the name is Universidad Popular. Their website makes it still seem like an amazing community organization; I noticed literacy programs, a legal & financial clinic and a women's empowerment group. When I studied there, it embodied real hands-on learning. The method was so welcoming and fun that I incorporated a life-long love of Spanish: quite a shift after years in high school & college of miserable, intimidating french classes. Having never had the space to study it seriously, I am still an incorrect speaker, but I manage for several weeks up in the village where nobody speaks English. I am probably saved by the fact that Spanish is a second language for most of the villagers: their mother tongue is Mam.

No comments: