Monday, October 21, 2013

William Kentridge & State of Mind



A few weeks ago, I read my U of C Alumni Magazine and found two excellent reasons for visiting Hyde Park. The first was a "lecture," more a performance piece, called "Listening to the Image" by William Kentridge. It explored "the relationship between sound and image." Even though his physical style is more literal than I usually prefer, I believe he does very creative work in his methods and questions. And he deals with deep stuff. I couldn't get photos of the performance, but I do have some images here from April when I saw Kentridge's work up at the Milwaukee Art Museum. The program was terrific and especially so because it wasn't the typical U of C intellectual process. The website says the audio will be available here 10.25.13, so try back.

You have until January 12, 2014 to visit the Smart Gallery's fun exhibit: "State of Mind: New California Art Circa 1970." It brought up a lot of nostalgia in me for times when artists weren't starting out selling for millions at the large NYC galleries. I particularly gravitated to a landscape piece by John Baldessari

No comments: