Monday, September 9, 2013

Chicago Botanic Garden: Sept. Views


Rare for me to see a public garden during growing season, so I was thrilled when the opportunity for an hour visit arose last week. Where else does one head in Sept., but to the Fruit and Veggie Island? Passed the Prairie Garden en route. The big plant in front, a Silphium, will out-compete everything around it if not vigilantly maintained...



The apple branches were heavily laden. This is not it, but there was one fragrant tree. I thought it was "MacCort," but can't find that type on-line.



I liked these sculptural sentinels near the bee hives. See how they read better against the "open" space than against the evergreen hedge.


Here I tried to show the lovely light through the Smokebush. That didn't translate so well, but I like the photo for other reasons...And, below, I felt amused by the shadows on these benches.


3 comments:

Altoon Sultan said...

It looks like a beautiful day at the garden, and the light through the smokebush translated wonderfully well, that intense late summer sparkle.

Julie Siegel said...

Altoon: I love the autumn light, more wistful than spring.

LINDA from Each Little World said...

Our apple trees are just loaded; amazing and unusual since we don't spray them or do anything positive in terms of production. I think you are right about the autumn light; wistful is a nice way of putting it.