Monday, October 1, 2012

Fabulous Ferns!


I learn something from every client (not always what I anticipate learning...), but I do have a few who are remarkable gardeners and have taught me much about plants. Just recently, I had the good fortune to visit one of these people and their garden on the south side of Chicago...that is to say: a very urban garden. Due to the mid-afternoon timing, my photos were not terrific; yet I have several to give you a sense of this wonderful space, mostly about the gardener's fern collection.
The garden is located behind a Victorian row house, next to an alley and underneath a large, mature Silver Maple which, if you've ever dug beneath one, you will remember for its impenetrable roots. Above, you can see the entrance path off the back porch.


Here the collector proudly shows off myriad spores on the fronds of a Japanese Tassel Fern (Polystichum polyblepharum). Below stands a glorious specimen of Remote Wood Fern (Dryopteris remota).Take note, Linda and Mark! These ferns are not typically found in our regional gardens. In fact, my client has had many adventures with ferns in far-flung places. While I cannot travel to all those spots, visiting his garden is a transporting trip and a worthy substitute. Mostly, what I enjoy is his never-ending enthusiasm. This interest by shared by the famous neurologist, Oliver Sacks. Look him up on-line with ferns and you will find many compelling documents including his Oaxaca Journal.


3 comments:

Altoon Sultan said...

I love ferns. They grow as volunteers around my house. The most amazing fern collection I've seen was years ago at the Melbourne, Australia botanic garden. Walking through the ferns there was like being back in the time of the dinosaurs; truly amazing.

Julie Siegel said...

Me too Altoon. I was so impressed with those tree ferns in California...if you like the time of the dinosaurs, Jensen's Chicago Garfield Conservatory is for you.

Unknown said...

I do have a few who are remarkable gardeners and have taught me much about plants.Trees For Sale