Friday, November 26, 2010

Geology: Red Rock Canyon



After unseasonably warm temps last week, the first of our cold winter winds swept down from Canada yesterday. It reminded me of weather shifts, climate change and geology.

And that musing caused me to remember a trip, last November, when I visited one of my favorite spots: Red Rock Canyon in Nevada, outside Vegas. I cannot help from reiterating, probably like a broken record, what a contrast exists there between the marvels of man-made entertainment and nature.

The bottom is Red Rock...the top is probably the Sierra Nevada Mountain Range as I was flying from San Francisco.

3 comments:

Altoon Sultan said...

I visited Red Rock Canyon several years ago when I was in the Vegas area; it is very beautiful and so surprising to see so close to The Strip. There was another amazing parkland farther away to the east, whose name I don't remember, which had petroglyphs and stunning landscape.

Julie Siegel said...

Valley of Fire: 55 miles NE of Vegas. We went once, a different, more open landscape than Red Rock. I remember we crawled up and inside the lip of a huge rock. The coolness and subdued light of that cave, in contrast to the heat and clarity of the bright blue sky outside, made us reluctant to leave our nest.

Stone Art's Blog said...

Hope to make here some day