Friday, July 16, 2010

Checking-In from Guatemala



I am writing from the Guatemalan town of Quetzaltenango (actually just outside) where the AFOPADI office is located. We managed to bring down many donations, including 40 pounds of metal-working tools from our generous donor, Alan. My brain is already working fairly well in Spanish which means English is a bit of a challenge.

Here, I am finally seeing the country green during the rainy season: my last visit here during the summer was 1989 before I was affilated with Earthways & AFOPADI. the tall growing corn delights me endlessly. Since I am accompanied by Wesley, a graduate student in Public Health, it is interesting to process with a different perspective. His focus is on health, land and food and how they all interface.

I believe this is going to be an exciting visit and we will learn a lot. Today it´s wonderful to see old friends!


2 comments:

Joerg said...

Julie, this first post sounds wonderful may it be an indication for the journey to come. I living vicariously through you on this trip.

Julie Siegel said...

Yes Joerg, a good journey. We can see the tops of the corn through the second floor window. Beyond, volcanos ring this valley where dark clouds gather every day during the rainy season. Soon we will be in the village, a different world except for the corn which is everywhere for the Maya.