Tuesday, February 9, 2010

"Back To The Drawing Board..."


Two Early Client Concept Drawings


Unlike most of my fellow designers, when I say that, I mean it...literally. When it comes to drawing by hand instead of on computer, I am a dinosaur by choice. Certainly, doing base maps digitally can be helpful and time-saving; sometimes we do that and sub-contract with another trusted designer for the initial stage. But mostly, we work by hand in the belief that it makes us inhabit the landscape space more fully and thus results in better-imagined designs.

As a kinetic learner, I also subscribe to the theory that there is a connection between the hand and the brain that etches things deeper when I do them manually. Not that one isn't using hands & eyes on the computer, but when using a computer to draw, everything has an even weight in terms of how you play with it. And thus, less creative depth or rhythm to me.

Working on a client landscape concept last week, I had an experience that will stick with me. Our clients wanted a formal design which makes sense with their formal house. Usually, when we design formally, nothing matches up....the architecture may suggest a form, but when you get down to the nitty-gritty, nothing lines up. The garage is always off by a foot or the proportions between house and land create awkward spaces. What I discovered and shared with these clients is that I gained a real (both in mind & body) appreciation for the architectural brilliance of their house because all our concepts worked so fluidly with the lines of their home. The building embodies a classic, pioneering & resolved design which endowed our landscape concepts with (hopefully) an equally integrated creativity. In other words: doing the landscape design was not easy, but it was blessed due to the architectural coherence. This became apparent to me through my mind, but even more strongly through my connection with the sweep of my hands, with the physical experience of how lines balanced on paper and in space.

Also, the ability to make a mess, to feel the weight of the different lines, to move organically versus geometrically, to have a visceral sense of what works and what doesn't, all these factors continue to have me plodding through primordial bogs. And embracing the process.

Above, you can see the darker area in the drawing on the left. This highlights a section where I did have to draw several different solutions to integrate the space. On the right drawing, you can't see where I have some details changed and deleted in the same area. These drawings remind me to pay attention to this section during the Master Plan stage, regardless of which concept the clients choose.

In a way, it is akin to different drafts, how they show us the way artists think. With changes in technology, that process may become less available to us to contemplate.

8 comments:

Altoon Sultan said...

What an interesting post, both in the discussion of how a good architectural design makes garden design easier, and about your process. Being a painter, and also a great user of the computer (digital photography), I see the strong points of each, but I'd never be happy without the physicality of paint (or of wool, for that matter, in my textile works). Fascinating how for you, actual drawing, with its push and pull, helps you to think better.

How It Grows said...

I agree...cad drawings are great for base maps, but freehand sketching is the best way to go for the creative aspects of design.

LINDA from Each Little World said...

I am particularly attuned to the idea of the process being visible in the layers of drawing, erasing etc. Went to an opening last night of two married artists who did an incredible show of his pastels and her paintings of their neighborhood in all seasons. Lots of gardens and flowers but also local parks and beaches and hidden spots. Really fun to see how two different media, styles and personalities interpreted the same scenes.

red studio said...

Thank you for the post and insight. I prefer drawing my garden designs by hand as well. Planning the space makes sense to me at the drawing table.

Julie Siegel said...

Thank you all for thoughtful and varied feedback. Interesting to see which parts resonate with whom. I usually profess process in my client mtgs. and lectures, but have not written much here. Now that Pandora's box has been opened...
I do use digital photograph extensively as you mentioned Altoon. Couldn't work without it! No matter if we take 500 pictures of a property, we will need to return to take the 501. With digital, cost isn't an issue so one can just snap.
Linda, I too am interested in the layers. Remember when we recently heard Dan Pearson and how his original gardening process was uncovering the garden in the home his parents bought after it had been gardened for decades by an (eventually) elderly woman?

Michael J. Kramer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michael J. Kramer said...

Hey, that looks like something Toby drew the other day! Just kidding. Really enjoyed the post, both the photo and your descriptions of the process. Mike

Julie Siegel said...

I'll bet Toby's drawings, at two, are better than mine will ever be!