Wednesday, October 21, 2009

A Tale of Two Maples



Since it's next to my office, I get to observe this yard on a daily basis. I know that this garden is not maintained, so it is an interesting laboratory that shows how plants fare with no coddling.

Above you can see the Japanese Maple that has grown as bred and is diffusing light like a garment spun from fairy wings.

Below you can the Japanese Maple that is reverting to the stock upon which it was grafted. Yes, that is one tree. Maybe someone can market this as "Year-Round Christmas."

2 comments:

Philip Bewley said...

Hi Julie!
What a beautiful maple to look at outside your office. I agree the way it diffuses light is enchanting.
Many Years ago I planted a Japanese maple from a seedling I found in the bonsai section of a plant nursery ( I am always up for a bargain, and plants will grow!). When I left that garden it was eight feet tall. I do hope it is loved and thriving today!
All the best,
Philip

Julie Siegel said...

Eight feet tall! We can only dream here in zone 5...Many of them croak when we have a rough winter which is why I don't plant many Japanese Maples for clients. Everybody wants the frilly ones, but the cultivar that seems to be the hardiest here is 'Bloodroot.'Actually there are two to the north of my office too (these are to the south) and one died this summer, presumably because it wasn't watered during our several months of drought (this after the rainiest spring in 80 years).