Thursday, September 10, 2009

Veggies: Reconnecting (Part II)



This is a follow-up to my post of July 1st. In that, I described a bit about an engaging (and now garden-engaged) client who was trying her hand at growing veggies for the first time. We met last week to discuss the future of her family's veggie garden. Not only had everything grown since my last visit, but she recounted some stories that embody why I love doing what I do. Below I quote her words. The pictures are hers as well.

"This is definitely a before and after situation, I will send Julie some photos of our lush veggie and butterfly garden as it is now. I said way back in February if I was able to cultivate even ONE vegetable from our seedlings I would be happy, it was beyond that: many snap peas, squash and cucumbers have been harvested. Today my grade schoolers had friends over and did a MYOS (make your own salad) playdate picking cherry tomatoes, mixing mint and basil and the little stinkers prematurely picked my Chinese eggplant@! I will admit I cheated on the tomatoes and peppers and bought the plants from the Farmers' Market, but there is always next year. We are so grateful to Julie for issuing us the passport for this journey, it has been exciting and restorative all at the same time."

I saw those lovely Chinese eggplant and have their intense purple coloring my memory...

2 comments:

LINDA from Each Little World said...

A true garden convert if she realizes it's all about the journey!

Julie Siegel said...

I agree! This why I am teaching a class at the Chicago Botanic Gardens in Feb. discussing how to value process in the garden. Instead of being offered in their "Design" section, it will be in their catelogue's people category.