Saturday, June 20, 2009

Last AIC Modern: The Garden



It took some sleuthing to discover (afterwards) that it was designed by Kathryn Gustafson. I should have known by her tree choices...I love the Lurie Garden that she designed across the street in Millenium Park with Piet Oudolf...but was underwhelmed by this new garden. It's dominated by the architecture and given the light conditions, I doubt the grasses will thrive and so, the plants will hardly soften the structure. With an all-grass garden, I would plant another texturally-different plant to provide contrast and pop the texture of the grasses. Plastic plants or none would have been better. Also, the sculpture ("White Curve") is by Ellsworth Kelly who has never much moved me. I believe I understand what they were trying to achieve with the overarching curve but I don't think it succeeds.

No comments: