Saturday, May 9, 2009

Olympia Mothers of Invention



I have never been to Olympia, Washington, but for many years I have appreciated two artists who live there: Nikki McClure & Stella Marrs. A friend from Washington State gave us a Nikki McClure calendar five years ago and now it's an annual ritual to purchase ours plus a few for new converts. Nikki McClure does not shy away from tough topics (see May "Witness" above), she has a real feel for nature and her graphic style always shows me a new perspective. As a postcard collector since I was 12, I have long had a stack of Stella Marrs' hip environmental postcards. The one below lists the top ten commercial fruits & veggies with the highest amounts of pesticide concentration and toxicity. Thanks to this postcard, I ONLY buy organic strawberries as they head the list.

No comments: