Sunday, December 21, 2008

Skiing





We are about a half-hour drive from the town of Mora. Mora is famous for two things: the fantastic Zorn Museum (celebrating the greatest Swedish painter, Anders Zorn) and the Vasaloppet which is, I believe, the oldest cross-country ski race. It commemorates Swedish History and involves a lot of blueberry soup.
Last night we were graced by a little bit of snow. As a layer on top of ice, it makes the perfect cross-country ski surface. I headed down the ski-path towards NUSNÄS (all those cute little wooden horses are made in two factories in this tiny Dalarna village). Cross-country is now my preferred method for getting close to the trees (mostly birch, spruce & Scots pine); Having been reared on skis & skates, my Swedish husband sticks with downhill...I returned for a camera, but my trek was cut-short by my mother-in-law´s concern that I might meet up with a moose, a possibility that hasn´t created a problem before. Once, we did meet up with a female moose: she stayed by the fence and we walked parallel for about 20 minutes. What amazed me, having been raised on Bulwinkle, was her quizzical & gentle manner and her enormous size. I felt totally dwarfed & human.
When we return to the States, I will add images taken in the exquisite Northern light..

2 comments:

LINDA from Each Little World said...

Can't wait for the pictures. 31 inches of snow here in Dec. and 15 below zero when I got up this a.m. Looks lovely but shoveling is hellish! (actually 10.3 inches on Fri. and a few more last night).

Julie Siegel said...

Yes. Most of the snow yr way, but we have cold temps too and soon bellies will be full of Christmas rice porridge...we have many pictures to upload...great traditional fences for the Japanese garden sculptor in yr life.