Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Healthy People, Healthy Profits, Healthy Planet






This is the title of our upcoming MELA (Midwest Ecological Landscaping Association) Conference at the Chicago Botanic Garden on February 28, 2008.

I know I should put in the sexy shot that grabs you all, but being contrary, I will instead post an image of what happens when we don't pursue these principles (deforestation in the Highlands of Guatemala).

But since I am an optimist, I have also included a picture of the ways we can help achieve better health through practicing "Triple Bottom Line," a commitment to sustainability in terms of people, our planet, and socially-responsible business practices. What you see here is a Guatemalan teenager I help support in terms of education through the organization Common Hope. Girls in Guatemala have an even harder time staying in school when the family can't make ends meet. And being a former teacher, of course I believe that education is one of the tickets to success. This is separate from the reforestation project I work on in Guatemala. Updated Earthways Annual Report will be on line soon!


No comments: