Sunday, December 16, 2007

Snow



What a difference a month makes...note the pear tree: still covered in leaves, but set off by bright white. As I walked to shovel off my car, people I passed in the alley were already complaining. And I am thrilled. Not only is it magical, but the land needs the moisture. We haven't had this much snow since December of 2000, a different time. I remember that winter precisely: my husband was in Burma and so I was the sole dog-walker (a different dog too). I had recently had surgery and walked at a snail's pace. Our compassionate little Pomeranian kept in sinc with me as we traversed the ice mounds at the corner intersection. Having grown-up with big dogs, I was amazed by her prescient abilities.

The snow's luminescence juxtaposes against imaginary jungle green. Reading the wonderful novel, The Hamilton Case, (by Michelle de Kretser) set in Sri Lanka, I feel the vines twisting, smell the blossoms perfuming and hear the monkeys howling.

No comments: